Who is using preamps / rack these days?

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
Zachman":32fbf99n said:
paulyc":32fbf99n said:
Zach...which piece in your rack does the amp switching ? Is it CAE or something else ? I don't see any speaker simulators or load boxes in there anywhere...is there a cab for each head ? and then cabs for effects ? I know it would be a PITA, but could you give a detailed description of your setup and all the tones you cover ? Anyway to do that with an RSB18R and RSB18F ? Thanks !

The Amp Selector (CAE V.1), is on the very bottom of the rack, seated under the Switcher/Interface-- and provides a load on the UN-selected amps, w/ individual Line level controls for each amp. Each amp is routed to the same middle Dry cabinet, so ONLY 1 amp at a time can be active. If I want to run a stereo rig (No, middle Dry cab), then I connect a Hotplate between the Amp Selector and the DRY speaker cab, and set it to load.

The setup is a WD/D/WD setup, which allows me to choose to put the Dry signal into the wet cabs or not, allowing W/D/W, or if I only use 1 wet Cab, then it's W/D, and/or WD/D. I used (3) 4x12 cabs loaded w/ Celestion/Hellatone G12-H30's.

The the RSB18R (R=Rack) (F=Foot Controller) is only a switchable patchbay. To do what I'm doing, you'd need to add a CAE or similarly spec'd Amp Selector-- there are only a few manufacturers producing them. CAE, Skrydstrup R&D, Egnater used to make one, and I believe Mark L makes a similar one for up to 3 amps... (Not sure on that).

I tend to use tones ranging from Vintage Classic Rock 60's/70's, to 80's Metal, to Fusion Jazz, Funk, R&B, Pop and Blues tones, ranging from BB King to Gary Moore. I designed this rig the way I did, because I wanted to be free to use a variety of different amps for my core sounds, but have a way to utilize my preferred studio quality rack gear, and classic & preferred pedals with whichever amp I selected (in Real time), while not destroying the fundamental Core amp sound, UNLESS wanting to do so intentionally- for affect.

Hope that helps,

Zach

caeswitcher002-1.jpg

caev1700.jpg
Yes Zachman...that helps a lot. Thank you for the rundown. I did know I needed an amp switcher...leaning toward an Egnater. Are the 2 CAE rack units off the shelf or custom for your application/situation ? I've been told not to use the RSB18R in front of the amps to switch pedals, only for rack gear...so I'm kind of stuck...how do you have an instant access switch for the pedal effects on the RSB18F if you use a different company's rack looper ? My last question to you is how many roadies do you have and what do they charge to set up and cart around your awesome rig ? Thanks again.

I let go of most of my amps. At home I dont use the power amp, but straight into the computer with the Two-Note stuff. Its the preamps set up through the PatchMate, with a TC Nova before the power amp or computer. One cable change to go eother way makes it easy to work with. I love the Egnater/Randall setup since I can keep some extra modules floating around and swap out rather than having rack parts sitting around my place. Keeps things looking clean:)

18714496421814093712964.jpg

I recently picked up my first rack rig in prob 10 years....a Mesa Quad Preamp/2:90 poweramp. Needless to say this rig just CRUSHES in my stereo setup. It sounds better than any of the MKIII and MKIIC+ heads that I owned in the past (which totals around 6 different amps). Now I'm on the hunt for a JMP-1 preamp to compliment it and I will be set!!!

AmpliFIRE":2g4guocy said:
I recently picked up my first rack rig in prob 10 years....a Mesa Quad Preamp/2:90 poweramp. Needless to say this rig just CRUSHES in my stereo setup. It sounds better than any of the MKIII and MKIIC+ heads that I owned in the past (which totals around 6 different amps). Now I'm on the hunt for a JMP-1 preamp to compliment it and I will be set!!!
Hmmmm now I'm interested in the quad and 2:90 :scared: :yes:

Zachman":17v6ra9l said:
rocknrolla":17v6ra9l said:
Good god some of you guys have too much bloody money!!! :lol: :LOL:

I used to play a Triaxis/2:90 rig with a G major II but I was tweaking tones more than I was playing and I rarely need more than 2-3 channels so I went with a head.

In my case, I've accumulated gear over Many years-- working toward a goal, using most of the same stuff in various configurations-- leading up to the final frontier (for me). So, the amount of gear isn't reflective of having a bunch of, or too much (as if there were such a thing)-- money. :thumbsup:

Great Post!

AmpliFIRE":2efw9le2 said:
Dude, experiment with some pedals through the clean channel first, it might save you the hassle of the JMP....not that the JMP is bad of course...:)

lordriffenstein":auz8ntii said:
Still rocking this rig all the time. I have been doing a bunch of gigs with my Elmwood setup but every time I plug into the rack, I have a HUGE smile on my face :rock: :rock:

3_foto3_1.jpg
Like!! :rock:

Zachman":27acsxyk said:
rsm":27acsxyk said:
I'm back to rack again...

Who else is back to rack too? Or considering it? (I know Zachman never left...)

What's in your rack(s)?

(slightly OT, what are your thoughts on Rocktron Voodu Valve rack units? any major diffs between the versions? )

Gear fund is depleted, but doesn't mean I'm not looking...preamps mostly...if they have effects too that's a nice to have. FWIW, I recenty realized I have more $ in preamps than the cost of a new Axe-FX II...add in effects and that $ comparison gets worse! Sometimes I question this and think... :doh:

Actually, in 1991, I had to sell 90% of my gear to fund a child custody battle (I won). Anyway, I-- for the next several years, gigged with one of two guitars, a guitar cable, my Mesa/Boogie MKIII Simul-Class Coliseum head, and a Pearce Engineering 1x12 cab-- and that was it. But in a way you're right, My perspective as to what I KNEW was possible has remained, and remains preferred-- with an appreciation of the reason those legendary units are the standard against which everything which attempts to simulate/replicate/model etc... is measured, but never quiet measures up.

I did change up my rig recently, still gotta do a couple more cables and it's programming time.

I replaced my Lexicon PCM80 w/ a Lexicon PCM-81. (The PCM80 died, so I am keeping it for spare parts).
Replaced the Rocktron 300G Compressor w/ a DBX 160A Compressor
Added a Dytronics CS5 Tri-Stereo Chorus
Pedal tray
Replaced MXR 10-Band EQ w/ Arion SCH-1
Replaced EVH Phase90 w/ MXR Script Phase90
Replaced Marshall Bluesbreaker2 OD, w/ Dunlop 70TH Anniversary Hendrix Unvibe

IMG_0253_zps6310c081.jpg

Outrageous but acres of tone....

paulyc":215m6e6j said:
Zachman":215m6e6j said:
paulyc":215m6e6j said:
Zach...which piece in your rack does the amp switching ? Is it CAE or something else ? I don't see any speaker simulators or load boxes in there anywhere...is there a cab for each head ? and then cabs for effects ? I know it would be a PITA, but could you give a detailed description of your setup and all the tones you cover ? Anyway to do that with an RSB18R and RSB18F ? Thanks !

The Amp Selector (CAE V.1), is on the very bottom of the rack, seated under the Switcher/Interface-- and provides a load on the UN-selected amps, w/ individual Line level controls for each amp. Each amp is routed to the same middle Dry cabinet, so ONLY 1 amp at a time can be active. If I want to run a stereo rig (No, middle Dry cab), then I connect a Hotplate between the Amp Selector and the DRY speaker cab, and set it to load.

The setup is a WD/D/WD setup, which allows me to choose to put the Dry signal into the wet cabs or not, allowing W/D/W, or if I only use 1 wet Cab, then it's W/D, and/or WD/D. I used (3) 4x12 cabs loaded w/ Celestion/Hellatone G12-H30's.

The the RSB18R (R=Rack) (F=Foot Controller) is only a switchable patchbay. To do what I'm doing, you'd need to add a CAE or similarly spec'd Amp Selector-- there are only a few manufacturers producing them. CAE, Skrydstrup R&D, Egnater used to make one, and I believe Mark L makes a similar one for up to 3 amps... (Not sure on that).

I tend to use tones ranging from Vintage Classic Rock 60's/70's, to 80's Metal, to Fusion Jazz, Funk, R&B, Pop and Blues tones, ranging from BB King to Gary Moore. I designed this rig the way I did, because I wanted to be free to use a variety of different amps for my core sounds, but have a way to utilize my preferred studio quality rack gear, and classic & preferred pedals with whichever amp I selected (in Real time), while not destroying the fundamental Core amp sound, UNLESS wanting to do so intentionally- for affect.

Hope that helps,

Zach

caeswitcher002-1.jpg

caev1700.jpg
Yes Zachman...that helps a lot. Thank you for the rundown. I did know I needed an amp switcher...leaning toward an Egnater. Are the 2 CAE rack units off the shelf or custom for your application/situation ? I've been told not to use the RSB18R in front of the amps to switch pedals, only for rack gear...so I'm kind of stuck...how do you have an instant access switch for the pedal effects on the RSB18F if you use a different company's rack looper ? My last question to you is how many roadies do you have and what do they charge to set up and cart around your awesome rig ? Thanks again.

The CAE (Custom Audio Electronics) Amp Selector, CAE Switching System, CAE Line Mixer, CAE Power Supply on the pedal tray, CAE Dual tap tempo box/power supply for wah, and CAE MIDI foot controller were ordered to spec. I don't have an rsb18f. I have a CAE double expanded RS-10

SeparateWaysloadin014.jpg

2009029-1.jpg

caeswitcherdiagram-1-1.jpg

caers10schematic-1-1.jpg

zachschematic-1.jpg

I usually have 1 assistant/tech (Carlos), and 1 roadie helper (My cousin). Carlos and I usually cart everything around. The roadie helper usually just helps get stuff from storage to the truck, and from the truck to the stage and back to the truck. Carlos and I make sure the gear gets staged where it's supposed to go. I usually plug everything in and check levels myself. Carlos is the one who tears down the rig after shows, and makes sure it all gets back to the truck for transport. I usually pay him $100/show. My cousin just likes to come hang out and help because he's my cousin.

That is truly boner inspiring shit right there. Very impressive man.

Sick Michael":2cbjn7mo said:
Zachman":2cbjn7mo said:
rsm":2cbjn7mo said:
I'm back to rack again...

Who else is back to rack too? Or considering it? (I know Zachman never left...)

What's in your rack(s)?

(slightly OT, what are your thoughts on Rocktron Voodu Valve rack units? any major diffs between the versions? )

Gear fund is depleted, but doesn't mean I'm not looking...preamps mostly...if they have effects too that's a nice to have. FWIW, I recenty realized I have more $ in preamps than the cost of a new Axe-FX II...add in effects and that $ comparison gets worse! Sometimes I question this and think... :doh:

Actually, in 1991, I had to sell 90% of my gear to fund a child custody battle (I won). Anyway, I-- for the next several years, gigged with one of two guitars, a guitar cable, my Mesa/Boogie MKIII Simul-Class Coliseum head, and a Pearce Engineering 1x12 cab-- and that was it. But in a way you're right, My perspective as to what I KNEW was possible has remained, and remains preferred-- with an appreciation of the reason those legendary units are the standard against which everything which attempts to simulate/replicate/model etc... is measured, but never quiet measures up.

I did change up my rig recently, still gotta do a couple more cables and it's programming time.

I replaced my Lexicon PCM80 w/ a Lexicon PCM-81. (The PCM80 died, so I am keeping it for spare parts).
Replaced the Rocktron 300G Compressor w/ a DBX 160A Compressor
Added a Dytronics CS5 Tri-Stereo Chorus
Pedal tray
Replaced MXR 10-Band EQ w/ Arion SCH-1
Replaced EVH Phase90 w/ MXR Script Phase90
Replaced Marshall Bluesbreaker2 OD, w/ Dunlop 70TH Anniversary Hendrix Unvibe

IMG_0253_zps6310c081.jpg

Outrageous but acres of tone....

:yes: :thumbsup:

Sick Michael":1522veu4 said:
Zachman":1522veu4 said:
rocknrolla":1522veu4 said:
Good god some of you guys have too much bloody money!!! :lol: :LOL:

I used to play a Triaxis/2:90 rig with a G major II but I was tweaking tones more than I was playing and I rarely need more than 2-3 channels so I went with a head.

In my case, I've accumulated gear over Many years-- working toward a goal, using most of the same stuff in various configurations-- leading up to the final frontier (for me). So, the amount of gear isn't reflective of having a bunch of, or too much (as if there were such a thing)-- money. :thumbsup:

Great Post!

:cheers:

rocknrolla":1u44g9lv said:
That is truly boner inspiring shit right there. Very impressive man.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

Thanks! It does what I want without compromise, and has been reliable so far, since 2008. :thumbsup:

Awesome rig...I was totally kidding about the roadie thing, but good for you. I knew you had the RS10, not the RSB18, I just wondered if you knew how I could get around the issue of using it in front of the amps...instead of in a loop or after the amps via a load box/switcher. You must be in Hawaii's most dangerous band ! I can't think of a better place to live...maybe someday ! Would LOVE to learn how to surf like Greg Brady, but I need the idol first ! Book 'em Dano !

paulyc":1u6d8c8s said:
Awesome rig...I was totally kidding about the roadie thing, but good for you. I knew you had the RS10, not the RSB18, I just wondered if you knew how I could get around the issue of using it in front of the amps...instead of in a loop or after the amps via a load box/switcher. You must be in Hawaii's most dangerous band ! I can't think of a better place to live...maybe someday ! Would LOVE to learn how to surf like Greg Brady, but I need the idol first ! Book 'em Dano !

I would bet that Dave Phillips of LA Sound Design and Martin Golub (Currently working w/ Dave and Bradshaw's former right hand man) could address any weirdness you might be having. I don't see why you couldn't or shouldn't use the RSB18 for loops pre-Amp (Pedals) and post (Rack gear), but admit I have no direct experience with the RSB models. I highly recommend contacting Dave. He's ultra cool, professional, and very helpful.

Currently I am not gigging. Jan 2013 I bought the guitar store I'd been working at for 5 years, and am focused on doing that. I may get involved in another project eventually, but for now have my plate full. The band that I was in while using this rig did very well, and was a ton of fun while it lasted (3 years).

Is your Floyded LP one of Gibson's newer factory installed deals or a custom older install ?

I love your older video of that dude playing your Egnater TOL amp through your rack...GREAT tones and playing on that...I can't comment on your videos posted above 'cuz I'm at work, can't hear anything hear, so I'll wait till I get home later...I'm sure it's AWESOME. Love your Atomica video too.

paulyc":3hr7yutj said:
I love your older video of that dude playing your Egnater TOL amp through your rack...GREAT tones and playing on that...I can't comment on your videos posted above 'cuz I'm at work, can't hear anything hear, so I'll wait till I get home later...I'm sure it's AWESOME. Love your Atomica video too.

Thanks brah. Brad had fun that day w/ the Egnater TOL100 and the rig, at Pat aka mentoneman's house. I liked that amp too. I used it to track some stuff at a session I did in LA. The thing sang.

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=10023

Back