Best amp at each category

• Thread starter Thread starter Yehuda
  • Start date Start date
Again with all these threads it's subjective to what you like. A blanket statement of "playing it side by side you'll see, or artificial, unmusical", that's your opinion.

I've played the JVM side by side with alot stuff from Diezel to Fryette to Mezzabarba to Bogner and other high dollar amps and to me there is nothing artificial or unmusical about it. In my opinion. I don't own those other amps anymore because I prefer the JVM and have since the amp was released. However I would never say it's the best, just the best for me; for now.

It's why I have always said on threads like this, forgot what anyone says, forget opinions, by all means don't base anything off a video - play it for yourself.
Well I can fully agree that we should all play gear we’re curious about for ourselves and decide (I’m always saying that), but this is a thread literally asking for user opinions, so that’s what was provided. I respect your opinion since you actually compared the amps in person, but we just disagree and that’s fine

I guess to be a little more specific about that unmusical aspect I was mentioning, it’s hard to describe some of this stuff in words, but there was something about the higher frequencies that sounded almost like a distortion pedal to me, or maybe a messy quality to me. When compared to other Marshall models like a jcm800 and some NMV ones they’re high end wasn’t at all like that, but I actually did play some boutique distortion pedals through them and then could match that quality that I interpret as less musical or messy. Just my opinion, not that it always needs to explicitly be stated

Basically the reasons to justify what amps are keepers lol
Super tight, sharp attack: Hermansson
Aggressive highs: Hermansson
Organic/Raw: Mark IIC+, Rev C, ‘80’s and older Marshall’s (stock or with a good mod)
3D/complex tone: Mark IIC+, Jim Kelley, Gjika, Ronin
5D tone: Dumble ODS
Easy to play, saturation: Rev 1 Uber
How well do the notes connect: Mark IIC+, Rev 1 Uber, Jim Kelley, Gjika, Ronin
Thickest sounding: Rev 1 Uber
Chewy: Rev 1 Uber, Bogner Snorkler Mod, Friedman Marsha
Throaty Growl on Powerchords: Rev C Recto
Clarity, Punch, Open: Wizard Hell Razor
Density to notes: Mark IIC+
Liquid, yet blistering shreddy lead tones: Mark IIC+
Midrange grind: good modded Marshall’s
Good uppermids: ‘89 SLO, MLC Silenoz
Huge sound/muscle: Megalith Beta
Sweet, round, vocal lead tone: Purpleface, Jim Kelley, Gjika

Bad qualities:
Filtered/sterie/cardboardy: Uber Ultra, Omega, KSR
Processed/recorded sounding: most Engl’s, JVM
Hollow midrange: Hiwatt, Wizard and Hermansson (still love these amps though despite that)
If there ever is an amplifier "Oscars" ceremony, I nominate you to present all the awards. The big question is, who will you be wearing on the red carpet?"

I mostly like it for stuff involving palm mutes and chords. It might have the most impressive chordal clarity I’ve heard in a high gain amp so far. It has for a high gain amp very good cleans too. It can do a lot of things well, but I guess more rhythmical type stuff is where it’s a 10/10 amp for me
Plugging straight into it, without any pedals or anything else definitely in my top rhythm amps of all time. Uber Ultra another for me… I know we flat out disagree about the Uber ultra but I also understand not everyone plays the same kind of music. Others straight in would be ground zero and monomyth modded stuff. If I have a boost, give me an early rectifier all day long.

Leads I will say, the 5150 ALL iterations are very easy to play and lead work sounds great. All you have to do is listen to any black dahlia murder to hear it. Well Brandon Ellis, and Ryan Knight era

I think this is 100% the disconnect. You can go get a 5150 or XXX or whatever and go gig. Most guys gigging are about the music. The amp is a tool.

The bedroom guitarist "nerd" is all about tone. It isnt that a bargain amp tone wont work. But it isn't best. And best tone/feel/fill in the blank is what we search for.
Really though a good musician turns into a nerd with his sound . It’s a part of the process .

I think this is 100% the disconnect. You can go get a 5150 or XXX or whatever and go gig. Most guys gigging are about the music. The amp is a tool.

The bedroom guitarist "nerd" is all about tone. It isnt that a bargain amp tone wont work. But it isn't best. And best tone/feel/fill in the blank is what we search for.
I've haven't gigged in a LONG time, but I have gigged though and with relatively big club PA's. Between the high decibel sometimes backwards projecting PA wash, sidefill and front of stage monitors, ambient noise, other instruments, etc, so many of the subtleties AND playing feel of the top tier amps gets somewhat neutralized/averaged out in onstage loud rock band environments.

Last edited:
Plugging straight into it, without any pedals or anything else definitely in my top rhythm amps of all time. Uber Ultra another for me… I know we flat out disagree about the Uber ultra but I also understand not everyone plays the same kind of music. Others straight in would be ground zero and monomyth modded stuff. If I have a boost, give me an early rectifier all day long.

Leads I will say, the 5150 ALL iterations are very easy to play and lead work sounds great. All you have to do is listen to any black dahlia murder to hear it. Well Brandon Ellis, and Ryan Knight era
In the case of the Uber ultra it’s not imo about different styles of music. I actually played a lot of similar stuff as you do in your clips on it. I just didn’t like its sound or feel. The Rev C and Hell Razor are in my top 3, so sounds like we probably agree there

I agree on all about the 5150’s on leads, but just don’t see a need for it (besides price/practicality) vs some other amps like a Rev 1 Uber, Cameron’s (no longer have any) or iic+

Not to jump on the JVM bashing - it’s a fun amp but it just has way too much going on. If they could maintain the voicings they chose but significantly simplify the layout - I’m sure the tone could improve.

Don’t understand why Marshall hasn’t done a simple, high quality, high gain head yet. Baffling really.
Agreed. The voicing itself is quite good imo. To me it sounded like I was hearing a recording of a good high gain Marshall in person. If they could have something similar that actually sounds like hearing the amp in person with a simple one or 2 channel layout it could be great. In some ways the Helios is that already, although not as modern

Agreed. If we’re just looking at them as functional tools then we don’t really need forums like this for that, but in either case why not get the most enjoyable/inspiring tools we can

It’s sort of like a pen aficionado being told unless you’re this amazing professional writer just save your money and get a cheap Bic

My Larry does everything. Super clean, takes boosts and drive pedals, angry channel too. It had a great effects loop

I don’t like taking it out much for the obvious reason… so I use my 3 channel preamp into two different power amps for wet dry. I want a Bogner fish BUT fuck that price. I’ll stay with Myasnikov. Great system for live gig.

Agreed. If we’re just looking at them as functional tools then we don’t really need forums like this for that, but in either case why not get the most enjoyable/inspiring tools we can

It’s sort of like a pen aficionado being told unless you’re this amazing professional writer just save your money and get a cheap Bic
I work with my hands. I buy dewalt and Milwaukee power tools. I buy knipex and klein hand tools. I could make harbor freight tools work and have seen plenty of guys do it.

But i like quality. It makes the job easier, feels good in your hand.

I am a fucking snob. Doesnt mean everyone needs to be. But it surprises me how many people are here that arent snobs...what the hell are you on the forum for if not to nerd out about amps?

I work with my hands. I buy dewalt and Milwaukee power tools. I buy knipex and klein hand tools. I could make harbor freight tools work and have seen plenty of guys do it.

But i like quality. It makes the job easier, feels good in your hand.

I am a fucking snob. Doesnt mean everyone needs to be. But it surprises me how many people are here that arent snobs...what the hell are you on the forum for if not to nerd out about amps?
I’m a snob.

I like channel switchers that have a badass clean channel, a 2203 inspired crunch channel, and a SLO style lead channel

The Bogner XTC literally ticks that exact box

You think an xtc has an SLO style lead channel? Wow, you are dumb AND deaf 😂

This was a valid thread, OP, and could be an interesting one. It is too bad it must get derailed. Wish we could have a do over

Last edited:
I’ve had both and man I was so disappointed in my JVM . It just doesn’t open up like a regular tube Marshall. Too compressed . Good quiet though but no hell razor . And I know you know this
JVM410 needs the power amp section loud IMO. I rarely go beyond OD1 green or yellow mode though, clean and crunch channels for me.

I’m just happy nobody got mad at my dig at revv in the post itself 😂
fricker-thumbs-up.jpg

JVM410 needs the power amp section loud IMO. I rarely go beyond OD1 green or yellow mode though, clean and crunch channels for me.
Ya it sounds cool . I do like it

Reactions: rsm

Back