How many of you believe the Earth is flat? Go.......

• Thread starter Thread starter Racerxrated
  • Start date Start date
Correct me if I'm wrong:

The earth's curvature is 8" / mile.
Eddie claims that this means a drop of 6000' over a distance of 100 miles.

Looks like he's got his math way-off?
That’s what we’re arguing about. VB found a calculator but Space boy thinks its wrong and can’t seem to cite any references to confirm.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

The earth's curvature is 8" / mile.
Eddie claims that this means a drop of 6000' over a distance of 100 miles.

Looks like his math is way-off?

I’m glad you said that, I could use some help lol

That’s what we’re arguing about. VB found a calculator but Space boy thinks its wrong and can’t seem to cite any references to confirm.
Thanks brudda.

I saw the post and responded but have only read up to page 10 at this point.

Thanks for the spoiler alert. :doh::LOL:

my bad, I didn’t post the link lol

To reiterate from post #326 “Here is a good example. As you can see, the exponents disappear from the variables once the equation is solved, as they do”

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.15/h/sean1.html
Interesting. The first result on Google is a calculator that shows a different number. I’ll eat then investigate further.
1701998147379.png

my bad, I didn’t post the link lol

To reiterate from post #326 “Here is a good example. As you can see, the exponents disappear from the variables once the equation is solved, as they do”

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.15/h/sean1.html
transparent.gif
Hi Sean,
In the note you mentioned I did say "Hence the earth's surface curves at approximately 8 inches per mile." I should have said "Hence the earth's surface curves approximately 8 inches in one mile." I will go back and change it. By saying "8 inches per mile" it sounds like it will curve 16 inches in two miles and 4 inches in half a mile but this is not correct.”

transparent.gif
Hi Sean,
In the note you mentioned I did say "Hence the earth's surface curves at approximately 8 inches per mile." I should have said "Hence the earth's surface curves approximately 8 inches in one mile." I will go back and change it. By saying "8 inches per mile" it sounds like it will curve 16 inches in two miles and 4 inches in half a mile but this is not correct.”
Don’t even start with that again lol

Back