Metallica tours with 64 guitars? JFC!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter thegame
  • Start date Start date
what in the fuck are you even talking about?? :LOL:
Hendangers Balls.... on MTV.

Youtube it, if desired :)

Basically interviews and concerts from Metal bands in short. MTV is still amazing. Corey Feldman disagrees of course

Hendangers Balls.... on MTV.

Youtube it, if desired :)

Basically interviews and concerts from Metal bands in short. MTV is still amazing. Corey Feldman disagrees of course

im just confused.. i was telling about my lone experience seeing metallica in 2000, which i then get questioned about like i dont remember or something, and your response to that was i was actually refering to headbangers ball in the 80s, making shit up and living in an alternate reality if i read correctly. im not a licensed doctor or anything so dont take my word, but that sounds to me like a very bad case of fuckedinthehead, just want to make sure youre ok :2thumbsup:

im just confused.. i was telling about my lone experience seeing metallica in 2000, which i then get questioned about like i dont remember or something, and your response to that was i was actually refering to headbangers ball in the 80s, making shit up and living in an alternate reality if i read correctly. im not a licensed doctor or anything so dont take my word, but that sounds to me like a very bad case of fuckedinthehead, just want to make sure youre ok :2thumbsup:
Headbangers Ball Tours were scattered about throughout the years, it wasn't just in the 80's and lol I wasn't talking about you specifically, I'm good 😊

Tbh, it was and the smartest decision they've ever made. Imagine the frustrations of having to EQ your amp and it's mic every single night on tour to make it sound somewhat pleasant.

It's a natural progression and it makes sense for touring musicians.

They're still using it with a poweramp and a cab, which IMO is more important. Most big names we see onstage use these modelers with a poweramp and a cab for stage sound. Some of them also split the signal to an IR block then out to the board. Some I've seen just mic up the cab, which puzzles me.

60 guitars on tour still makes less sense to me. 40 for a 2-guitar band is large but not excessive.

Actually how many tunings do they use even?

Does it include the bass guitars ?
That is 21 guitars each. All being doubled as a back up...that brings it down to 10. They probably really play 6 or 7 of them. Obviously I don't take near enough guitars to a gig. Last gig a few weeks ago I only brought a few picks. Using the gear there.

Maybe Metallica can get chippy to help out with gear decisions.

I honestly think some guitarists switch up guitars just to 'look cool' or make it interesting. Like Taylor Swift changes outfits (I'm told).

AFAIK - Edward started the trend but that was probably more around different tunings, vs say Metallica which again, AFAIK is usually in E like @BlueParfait is saying.

Tbh, it was and the smartest decision they've ever made. Imagine the frustrations of having to EQ your amp and it's mic every single night on tour to make it sound somewhat pleasant.
What are you talking about? What frustrations EQing an amp? Everything in racks, everything set. Stickers on knobs, etc. I'm talking about 1993, I had the opportunity to have a close look at the stage rig during their European tour.

What are you talking about? What frustrations EQing an amp? Everything in racks, everything set. Stickers on knobs, etc. I'm talking about 1993, I had the opportunity to have a close look at the stage rig during their European tour.
I wasn't talking about Metallica, I'm talking about bands who travel with tube amps/Solid state amps regularly. Rooms change sound, it's not rocket science and even racks don't manage to eliminate those problems with venue speakers are crucial factor. Amp/Cab Sims into FR speakers alleviate the issue, let's be real here. Having a rack with "saved" presets doesn't make things easier.

Imagine, that for a second, they have to do that as part of their job - you know, as if people are paying them to be there?

People are paying you for a product and this is basically the 'shrinkflation' of the music world.

Less of a show, with less effort put in by the musicians, for a higher price than ever. PASS.

Imagine, that for a second, they have to do that as part of their fucking job - you know, as if people are paying them to be there?

People are paying you for a product and this is basically the 'shrinkflation' of the music world.

Less of a show, with less effort put in by the musicians, for a higher price than ever. PASS.
Your comment doesn't make sense, in fact, it's just the opposite. Clearing this up makes more time to work on other things, they don't just stop at amps..?

And you don't get a higher quality show because you have to EQ and reset your mic placements per venue, what you DO get is frustrated bands and even more frustrated sound engineers. Overall, it takes time away from sound check and other resources so in the end, you'd less polished show if anything. Thats the way it's always been. This precisely why musicians/bands are traveling with amp/can sims and SS FR monitors.

The perfect scenario for both band and sound engineers is for the band to set up and be able to sound check right away without* the hassles of troubleshooting. Sims/Captures with IR's make that possible. This is common sense. So you'll actually get a better show because more effort is going into tone before hand so that more effort can go into other things later.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about Metallica, I'm talking about bands who travel with tube amps/Solid state amps regularly. Rooms change sound, it's not rocket science and even racks don't manage to eliminate those problems with venue speakers are crucial factor. Amp/Cab Sims into FR speakers alleviate the issue, let's be real here. Having a rack with "saved" presets doesn't make things easier.
Your sentence "Rooms change sound, it's not rocket science and even racks don't manage to eliminate those problems with venue speakers are crucial factor." doesn't make sense.

You talk about bands in small venues with fixed FOH, or you talk about big touring bands with own equipment incl. FOH, or you talk about backline and stage sound, or you talk about FOH? Or you talk about apples and oranges?

Of course it's easier and more convenient with modelers in context of eliminating complicated stage cabling and unexpected problems in case of complicated rigs.

Your comment doesn't make sense, in fact, it's just the opposite. Clearing this up makes more time to work on other things, they don't just stop at amps..?

And you don't get a higher quality show because you have to EQ and reset your mic placements per venue, what you DO get is frustrated bands and even more frustrated sound engineers. Overall, it takes time away from sound check and other resources so in the end, you'd less polished show if anything. Thats the way it's always been. This precisely why musicians/bands are traveling with amp/can sims and SS FR monitors.

The perfect scenario for both band and sound engineers is for the band to set up and be able to sound check right away without* the hassles of troubleshooting. Sims/Captures with IR's make that possible. This is common sense. So you'll actually get a better show because more effort is going into tone before hand so that more effort can go into other things later.
Wait, you said imagine if they had to take the time to EQ their stuff - that is what I am replying to specifically. Yeah, the band SHOULD spend time sound checking and EQing their actual gear instead of modeling the gear. Yep. Part of the gig. I get it, wanting to do it the easiest way possible, but it is NOT the best sounding way possible, which is one of the appeals of live gear. Normally, I enjoy the gear live better than the album, not less, or I don't go. Yeah, we know it's easier dude, that isn't what makes a product good.

Back