Modelers suck

• Thread starter Thread starter Exo-metal
  • Start date Start date
Yeah I have a number of old computers in storage, maybe it’s not too late to make something off them. After all, the new tech may be faster, more powerful, and actually able to run modern software but what about the MOJO of a Pentium III? What about the MAGIC of the Accelerated Graphics Port? SCSI?! If you know, you know.

Vintage digital does have a certain crunch that modern gear just can't replicate. I'll give you 10k for it if it's a Shell Pink Rev C blackface with PAF's and linguine logo.
I felt like adats were the worst of the two worlds smashed into one. The 90's was mostly a terrible time for recording tech IMO.

I'll happily use Axe FX III or Helix for live effects. But for amps?? Nah... I just aint really down with it.

When I rock out even just at home through a valve amp, I can improvise whole songs, riffs, structures, ideas... record it all down in one fluid motion. Then approach it and edit it together into something coherent later on:

This was all improvised on the spot, and I got a song out of it.

For some reason, I just can't really get into the same space when I'm using modellers and software through monitor speakers; it just doesn't create the same vibe.

I'll happily use them to demo stuff to send around to the band, of course. I've even deigned to put Kemper onto our last album in a few sections where I lost some cleans. But overall... I just find amps a better musical experience.

I felt like adats were the worst of the two worlds smashed into one. The 90's was mostly a terrible time for recording tech IMO.
the dark ages always precede a new enlightenment age.

edit, come to think of it, the 90s also gave us grunge, so dark age indeed.

:yes:

Well my disappointment over Satchel's rig specifically (or rather, Steel Panther's set dressing) is because that image is such a signature aspect of the era they're spoofing.

That I totally get and it’d definitely ’tie the whole room together’. I catch those guys every time they come down here and laugh just has hard every time, though Lexi Foxx is certainly missed. They don’t get enough credit for their comedy improv abilities, while you can tell some stuff is canned and they have plenty of bits to fall back on, when they pick some random person out of the crowd or something happens specific to the show you’re at and they start riffing on it, it‘s some of the funniest shit I’ve heard on a stage.

I have gone through hating my Fractal and using it and Atomic amplififre live for a season. Bottom line is indoors with a 4 x12 cab your 'beaming' sound in one direction which is fine if it's large but then your so loud they will not put you in the house PA very much. This results in not being heard very much in the house. Also I have made the mistake of
1) Not dialing in my live tone at lower volumes and not through the PA I would use. Not always an option
2) Thinking what comes out of my cab will be the same out of the pa

My amps are here to stay but for instance at the New years gig Sunday I used my FM3 and its was great. So easy to set up and tear down and it sounded great! Pardon the crappy footage -a friend took it.

That I totally get and it’d definitely ’tie the whole room together’. I catch those guys every time they come down here and laugh just has hard every time, though Lexi Foxx is certainly missed. They don’t get enough credit for their comedy improv abilities, while you can tell some stuff is canned and they have plenty of bits to fall back on, when they pick some random person out of the crowd or something happens specific to the show you’re at and they start riffing on it, it‘s some of the funniest shit I’ve heard on a stage.
Agreed! I swapped to Atomic after seeing them live. Also they are so entertaining laughing sooo hard all night. :ROFLMAO:
Bummer is their last 2 albums are no where near as good as their first several ones. Tone, riffs lyrics all sort of an after thought compared to early material.

I'll happily use Axe FX III or Helix for live effects. But for amps?? Nah... I just aint really down with it.

When I rock out even just at home through a valve amp, I can improvise whole songs, riffs, structures, ideas... record it all down in one fluid motion. Then approach it and edit it together into something coherent later on:

This was all improvised on the spot, and I got a song out of it.

For some reason, I just can't really get into the same space when I'm using modellers and software through monitor speakers; it just doesn't create the same vibe.

I'll happily use them to demo stuff to send around to the band, of course. I've even deigned to put Kemper onto our last album in a few sections where I lost some cleans. But overall... I just find amps a better musical experience.

Well first, that’s because you only play through your modelers when you’re using your fleshlight in order to get to get the true ‘everything is fake but fuck it’ experience.

I think I adapted to modeling so easily because for nearly a decade prior to getting an AxeFX I was only singing in bands and teaching myself to record by helping my buddy in his studio recording bands, ALL the guitar I was playing/writing/hearing the majority of the time was coming through studio monitors, or I was fucking with mics in front of a cab to get an amp sounding good out of studio monitors. If I were in a room with a band, yeah, I’d absolutely want a tube amp in there (and ideally some way to capture a DI while doing so in case anything usable comes up) but for writing on my own in a DAW, I’ll take a modeler any day. And I will until I have a museum of amps already mic’d up and ready to go.

And I’m fully willing to concede that the context of this matters a lot, but it’s also why I give people shit for dismissing it. Yeah, a modeler isn’t going to recreate the feeling of standing in a room with a 4x12, it doesn’t change the way the laws of physics work. But can it make tones that are usable/inspiring to accomplish a final product? Of course, it’s been done for decades now. Dismissing it’s legitimacy as a tool is as dim as a contractor bitching about power tools because screwdrivers and hammers existed for years and did the job just fine.

I heard a ToneTalk earlier from 4 years ago where Friedman was dismissing modelers by saying it’s pointless to change pickups if you’re using a modeler because you won’t hear the difference. That’s not doing Dave any favors as someone who is to be ‘trusted’ with his ears, that’s more than demonstrably false and so many arguments against modelers are based off 10-15 year old arguments that no longer reflect reality.

LOL! Most of the people who use them are dickless to begin with so they don't have to worry about those problems.
You smack of someone that's personally butt hurt because dudes using gear other than what you're using have put up better sounding clips than anything you've done. I could be wrong - but that's how you're coming off here.

I heard a ToneTalk earlier from 4 years ago where Friedman was dismissing modelers by saying it’s pointless to change pickups if you’re using a modeler because you won’t hear the difference. That’s not doing Dave any favors as someone who is to be ‘trusted’ with his ears, that’s more than demonstrably false and so many arguments against modelers are based off 10-15 year old arguments that no longer reflect reality.

I actually hear the difference in my guitars much more through a kemper than my tube amps. The more I play my kemper the more I sell off my teles lol.

Back