NAD: Fortin Cali #23 (updated with clip)

• Thread starter Thread starter LunatiBSW
  • Start date Start date
FourT6and2":1p3qqd75 said:
LunatiBSW":1p3qqd75 said:
Here’s a clip:
I know there’s not much out. So wanted to get something up ASAP:

Sounds good :)

BTW, Duvells are sick guitars.

+1

:cheers: on the Fortin.

The middle part of your clip was awesome. Where you sped up. SICK!

Sounds damn good. The attack seems awsome, great playing. Congrats on another gem!!

LunatiBSW":3ml6e1d7 said:
LPMojoGL":3ml6e1d7 said:
Nice! Congrats.
The Fortin and Wizard look a lot alike.
That clip sounds great, thick.

Thanks buddy!
That’s funny, I was thinking that last night when I was re arranging gear upstairs.

firejack":3ml6e1d7 said:
Congrats! Love the cosmetic. Looks great.
Sounds pretty damn good, but from memory I think I slightly preferred your Wizard clip. Could just be inconsistencies between the clips (possibly volume level?) but the Wizard had more chirp in the attack, more thump and a more delicious grind. How do you hear it in person?

Good observation. I have them dialed in completely different, and they were running through different cabs and speakers also.
I had to run the wizards presence and contour really high to get the attack I liked. It was dialed in on the brighter side. I also had the volume of the wizard quite a bit higher than I just did on this fortin clip.
This fortin is running through v30/k100’s, the cab isn’t as bright as the one I ran the wizard through.
I dialed it in thicker and less bright for the clip, but it still retained this insane attack and tightness.

Without a more in depth comparison... which I'm sure is coming soon... ;) ;) :yes:

I liked the Wizard MCII better too. More focused and sharper attack. I will add I absolutely 100% hate, hate, hate K100s... so could be due to that. But it is going to take a supernatural amp to surpass that Wizard. Just saying...

Great stuff btw. :thumbsup:

Wizard of Ozz":20d8rxsq said:
LunatiBSW":20d8rxsq said:
LPMojoGL":20d8rxsq said:
Nice! Congrats.

Thanks buddy!
That’s funny, I was thinking that last night when I was re arranging gear upstairs.

firejack":20d8rxsq said:
Sounds pretty damn good, but from memory I think I slightly preferred your Wizard clip. Could just be inconsistencies between the clips (possibly volume level?) but the Wizard had more chirp in the attack, more thump and a more delicious grind. How do you hear it in person?

Good observation. I have them dialed in completely different, and they were running through different cabs and speakers also.
I had to run the wizards presence and contour really high to get the attack I liked. It was dialed in on the brighter side. I also had the volume of the wizard quite a bit higher than I just did on this fortin clip.
This fortin is running through v30/k100’s, the cab isn’t as bright as the one I ran the wizard through.
I dialed it in thicker and less bright for the clip, but it still retained this insane attack and tightness.

Without a more in depth comparison... which I'm sure is coming soon... ;) ;) :yes:

I liked the Wizard MCII better too. More focused and sharper attack. I will add I absolutely 100% hate, hate, hate K100s... so could be due to that. But it is going to take a supernatural amp to surpass that Wizard. Just saying...

Agreed. Especially about the K100’s

Damn that thing sounds insane but i am surprised to say i can actually get pretty damn close to the cali tone with my ksr gemini and a fortin grind out front.

Regardless if fortin actually let people buy amps with a credit cArd like a normal company i suspect i would have pulled the trigger ?

firejack":iwpx6r00 said:
LunatiBSW":iwpx6r00 said:
Interesting stuff. It be great to see a comparison between the two through the same cab and EQ settings at noon. Get a good indication of their respective voicings and ranges of gain with all things being equal.

And I have to ask... which do you think you would keep if you could only have one? Haha.

Hahaha that can change on the day.
I love the fortin, wizard, and Friedman the most of my current amps

errrrrl":1jdlbi3d said:
LunatiBSW":1jdlbi3d said:
It fucking rips.
Your gonna love it. The attack is nuts and it’s stupid tight.
Hopefully that fuels your gas for the weekend :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :D :thumbsup:
That’s correct on the number.
I had such a bitch of a time getting one. So many people crashing the server. Mike put this one aside for me, before the smoke cleared, def wanted to be in the first run of these :rock:
I remember we were chatting on Facebook. You got through pretty early in, if I remember right.
Dude! It came today! Woohoo! First clip lol! So happy!

Hell yeah. Nice dude!

FourT6and2":193hzzbd said:
LunatiBSW":193hzzbd said:
Here’s a clip:

Thanks bud, I LOVE my mayo. That guitar is special

scottosan":16vkjo4y said:
Sounds great! Definitely overdue for another Ampfest also found another local with a Revv

Thanks Scott, you the best at coordinating :lol: :LOL: :D

311splawndude":3i6y47bo said:
FourT6and2":3i6y47bo said:
LunatiBSW":3i6y47bo said:
Here’s a clip:

+1

:cheers: on the Fortin.

The middle part of your clip was awesome. Where you sped up. SICK!

Thanks buddy, love your comments!!! :rock:

Beandust":3k4wt90e said:
Sounds damn good. The attack seems awsome, great playing. Congrats on another gem!!

Thanks bro, I really appreciate it.
This amp has the best feeling attack for metal, I’ve played.

Wizard of Ozz":2iivgqmp said:
LunatiBSW":2iivgqmp said:
LPMojoGL":2iivgqmp said:
Nice! Congrats.

Thanks buddy!

firejack":2iivgqmp said:

The wizard sounds bigger, it has that 100w power section. No doubt about that.
But this new fortin can def hold its own for 50w. It has TONS of tone shaping, that I haven’t even scratched the surface yet. The fortin is sounding better, and fuller at lower volumes, but it also has tons of options which help. The fortin is a little more “metal” to me.
The fortin is a very cool amp, but the Wizard is a WIZARD.... nuff said :D

Fitrocker33":353k49uj said:
Damn that thing sounds insane but i am surprised to say i can actually get pretty damn close to the cali tone with my ksr gemini and a fortin grind out front.

Regardless if fortin actually let people buy amps with a credit cArd like a normal company i suspect i would have pulled the trigger ?

Funny you say that. I’ve played (2) different newer KSR gemeni’s, one through an Uberkab, and the other through v30’s and isp sub.
I honestly was not a fan, at all, of that amp. We went through all the modes and switches.
Nope, not for me. To be fair, I didn’t try it with any boosts. But, it Def doesn’t sound anything like the Cali.
Which is a Marshall based amp. The Cali doesn’t need any boosts at all.
Maybe your talking about how fast the attack is??? Cause the Cali is awesome for that, it’s the best attack I’ve seen from an amp unboosted.
On that pedal, also, couldn’t sell it fast enough. Played it through tons of amps. Was very processed sounding and added to much artifact to the sound.
This amp has zero qualities of either of those things, but if that’s what you hear than more power to ya.
The amp is organic and very dynamic, which that pedal in front of any amp, is the polar opposite.
I also am not really a fan of using boosts, and if I do, it’s on my recto or deliverance 120, to give it faster attack, cause they are a little tubby, which is why I may be selling them. Haha
Thanks for checking it out though. If you can check one out, def do so. I think you may be surprised at how different it is from your KSR.

LunatiBSW":39bibv9l said:
Fitrocker33":39bibv9l said:

Funny you say that. I’ve played (2) different newer KSR gemeni’s, one through an Uberkab, and the other through v30’s and isp sub.
I honestly was not a fan, at all, of that amp. We went through all the modes and switches.
Nope, not for me. To be fair, I didn’t try it with any boosts. But, it Def doesn’t sound anything like the Cali.
Which is a Marshall based amp. The Cali doesn’t need any boosts at all.
Maybe your talking about how fast the attack is??? Cause the Cali is awesome for that, it’s the best attack I’ve seen from an amp unboosted.
On that pedal, also, couldn’t sell it fast enough. Played it through tons of amps. Was very processed sounding and added to much artifact to the sound.
This amp has zero qualities of either of those things, but if that’s what you hear than more power to ya.
The amp is organic and very dynamic, which that pedal in front of any amp, is the polar opposite.
I also am not really a fan of using boosts, and if I do, it’s on my recto or deliverance 120, to give it faster attack, cause they are a little tubby, which is why I may be selling them. Haha
Thanks for checking it out though. If you can check one out, def do so. I think you may be surprised at how different it is from your KSR.

Maybe it was the combo of listening from youtube and an ipad that led me ti make that statement.
i will say that the ksr responds very differently to the speaker you run with it, and i cant say it sounds best with a v30 loaded mesa cab. I heard my old ares through one of the EVH 2x12s with the G12h30 anniv. speakers and i thought it sounded ALOT better through that cab! Tighter sounding unboosted and less of that grit in the mids that v30s have. Completely changed the character i thought i once knew of it.

I will likely never see a fortin amp in person sadly. Nobody in this area has impeccable taste in stuff such as that lol.

LunatiBSW":thtwfye5 said:
Wizard of Ozz":thtwfye5 said:
LunatiBSW":thtwfye5 said:
LPMojoGL":thtwfye5 said:
Nice! Congrats.

Thanks buddy!

firejack":thtwfye5 said:

The wizard sounds bigger, it has that 100w power section. No doubt about that.
But this new fortin can def hold its own for 50w. It has TONS of tone shaping, that I haven’t even scratched the surface yet. The fortin is sounding better, and fuller at lower volumes, but it also has tons of options which help. The fortin is a little more “metal” to me.
The fortin is a very cool amp, but the Wizard is a WIZARD.... nuff said :D

Nice! Sounds like the Fortin is badass. I’m not surprised that it’s doing the trick for your metal needs. Fast attack with more meat to the notes. True test will be in a band or recorded. I predict you’ll want both, Wizard for the razor sharp slice and Fortin for the hearty meatiness.
Or perhaps a different combo that includes the Fortin. You have plenty of greatness to choose from.

LunatiBSW":3phpjfk7 said:
Yeah I hear you. Well you have one hell of a selection to choose from, that's for sure. :thumbsup:
Keep the clips coming.

Wow sounds fucking sick, congrats! Wonder if Mike will make a 100 watts version in black? You got a bunch of cool amps btw.

Fitrocker33":28lbbfrm said:
Maybe it was the combo of listening from youtube and an ipad that led me ti make that statement.
i will say that the ksr responds very differently to the speaker you run with it, and i cant say it sounds best with a v30 loaded mesa cab. I heard my old ares through one of the EVH 2x12s with the G12h30 anniv. speakers and i thought it sounded ALOT better through that cab! Tighter sounding unboosted and less of that grit in the mids that v30s have. Completely changed the character i thought i once knew of it.

I will likely never see a fortin amp in person sadly. Nobody in this area has impeccable taste in stuff such as that lol.

Sorry, man. You never know. I’ve met some really cool guys local lately that have great taste in gear.

LPMojoGL":28lbbfrm said:
Nice! Sounds like the Fortin is badass. I’m not surprised that it’s doing the trick for your metal needs. Fast attack with more meat to the notes. True test will be in a band or recorded. I predict you’ll want both, Wizard for the razor sharp slice and Fortin for the hearty meatiness.
Or perhaps a different combo that includes the Fortin. You have plenty of greatness to choose from.

Thanks buddy. I will
Be ordering a fortin spliff in the near future and trying the dual rig thing.
That way I can run one head/stack wet, and one dry.
I’m in heaven with the modded slax, the fortin, and wizard.
Prob be selling some of the others simply cause they won’t get played as much :lol: :LOL:
I’m Nailing some tones I’ve been searching for, for a while.

firejack":28lbbfrm said:
LunatiBSW":28lbbfrm said:

Yeah I hear you. Well you have one hell of a selection to choose from, that's for sure. :thumbsup:
Keep the clips coming.

Much appreciated, I’ll get some nice stuff going soon once I get the drum software going. I’ve got a torpedo studio I’m getting the hang of, and should help me get some good recordings. :rock:

Metal1977":1r0f3amb said:
Wow sounds fucking sick, congrats! Wonder if Mike will make a 100 watts version in black? You got a bunch of cool amps btw.

Thanks dude! I was wondering that too, but didn’t want to wait.
I heard he had no plans of doing any other colors, last I heard, for the Cali.
I know he’s been doing the 50w format for every run lately.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, unless you wanna wait a long time.
I’ve just been wanting an actual fortin for a while, and thought I’d give it a go.
I can say though, for 50w, it’s still devastating. I don’t find it lacking in anyway.

I also just ordered (2) cream h’s to replace the (2) k100’s up top, in that cab the fortin is on.
It has (2) v30’s down below, which I really like what they do for the tone.
The k100’s are cool, but they don’t have much character.
So with the fortin, I’ve been running it into my torpedo studio, to try different speakers/cabs IR’s with it, to see what it likes best.
The Cali really likes v30’s and cream h’s, ran in stereo, for the tone I’m going for.
So Now I won’t be flipping tons of speakers to find the perfect match for the Cali, love that torpedo studio for that.

LunatiBSW":2d3le4z9 said:
Metal1977":2d3le4z9 said:

Thanks dude! I was wondering that too, but didn’t want to wait.
I heard he had no plans of doing any other colors, last I heard, for the Cali.
I know he’s been doing the 50w format for every run lately.
I wouldn’t hold my breath, unless you wanna wait a long time.
I’ve just been wanting an actual fortin for a while, and thought I’d give it a go.
I can say though, for 50w, it’s still devastating. I don’t find it lacking in anyway.

I also just ordered (2) cream h’s to replace the (2) k100’s up top, in that cab the fortin is on.
It has (2) v30’s down below, which I really like what they do for the tone.
The k100’s are cool, but they don’t have much character.
So with the fortin, I’ve been running it into my torpedo studio, to try different speakers/cabs IR’s with it, to see what it likes best.
The Cali really likes v30’s and cream h’s, ran in stereo, for the tone I’m going for.
So Now I won’t be flipping tons of speakers to find the perfect match for the Cali, love that torpedo studio for that.
Just found out there is a second Cali in the DFW area. There is a guy in Arlington with one as well

Back