NAD: Fortin Cali #23 (updated with clip)

• Thread starter Thread starter LunatiBSW
  • Start date Start date
scottosan":2rvkumqh said:
Apex1Rg7X":2rvkumqh said:
mhenson42":2rvkumqh said:
Apex1Rg7X":2rvkumqh said:
Looks like there's a Cali on Reverb already. Decent price too.

https://reverb.com/item/23844778-fortin ... 2019-white

My guess is that the 2 offers he's gotten on Reverb were craptastic
I wouldn’t call $100 more than it sells for new a decent price :lol: :LOL:

Compared to the inflation of other Fortin products and not having to wait for 3 months, Id say its not bad.

well he won't sell for $3,000 shipped...ask me how I know. :lol: :LOL:

mhenson42":d2biibjl said:
scottosan":d2biibjl said:
Apex1Rg7X":d2biibjl said:
mhenson42":d2biibjl said:
Apex1Rg7X":d2biibjl said:

Compared to the inflation of other Fortin products and not having to wait for 3 months, Id say its not bad.

:poke: :poke: :poke: :shocked:
I knew you’d want one,
I bet he’ll get what he put into it. Trend with fortins right now.
It was $3295+$125 insured shipping.
How much of a PITA it is to get one. With the money wiring and limited runs, and small wait.
Fortin figured out how to make his stuff in demand, I give him that.
I hope you get it though buddy, I think you’d like it. Try some Jedi mind tricks.

mhenson42":38s5mehf said:
scottosan":38s5mehf said:
Apex1Rg7X":38s5mehf said:
mhenson42":38s5mehf said:
Apex1Rg7X":38s5mehf said:

Haha, it was worth a shot.

For some people buying this amp used allows them to use PayPal six months or other Reverb payment plan options if they don’t have the money upfront to Fortin. Or don’t like his purchase policy.

But they have been spot on time and very responsive to my emails.

Drkorey":31jxi5s0 said:
Where are you setting your dual gains at in general?

I like gain 1: just below 6/ gain 2: @ 4
Clear and punchy :thumbsup:
This is with my mayo with BKP juggernauts tuned to drop c#

I'll piggyback here instead of creating another thread. I received a few PMs on this amp so my opinion:

CALI #20
It’s a great amp with some wonderful tones. Totally --nothing not to like.
The pull bass to engage diode clipping (Jose-type mod) and the violence fourth gain stage make it WOW.
Tone controls have a broad range of effect.
My main quest was Alrich tones on the Whitesnake and Dio albums and other high gain 80s-90s metal tones.. The Cali delivers and nails that and more.
Solid low end.

(I use 2x12 cabs by Soldano with Scumbacks.)

I was asked about low gain: I think any high gain amp can do low gain. But this one has two gain controls for EACH overdrive channel: that plus the various toggle switches and driving the CLEAN channel get can low gain if you like. Low gain ..... :lol: :LOL:

(Personally I would prefer fewer tonal toggle switching options , single gain control instead of two of them for each channel, even a single channel amp. But that is my idiosyncrasy. Obviously people who tweak will revel in this.)

There is *some* redundancy with this and my Bogner Helios 50 and believe it or not my Mesa Minirectifier. Cali has more gain than both and really sings. The only amp I've experienced like this is the SLO. Tonally the two are quite different as expected. Cali is similar to the old BE I had about 7 years ago but with more gain and I think a better tone on single not lines. Better is subjective but no regrets.

Also, Fortin Amplification is spot on returning emails and shipping. I felt like a self-proclaimed moron sending the money up front (we've all read THOSE threads and shook our heads at the victim and builder) but their reputation is solid and Fortin delivered right on time.

Someone selling for $100 more on Reverb is understandable as Reverb takes their cut too. This was apparently someone who didnt jive with it for whatever reason and was looking to get their money back unlike all the assholes who bought all the new 33 pedals to flip for twice the price believing they were a limited edition.

I really hope Fortin develops a standard line instead of limited editions. This way there isnt a mad dash to order one in a day or two after orders open. Them releasing the 33 again has given me hope. At least people havent started trying to sell these for double yet.

Keep in mind, that on these type.of amps, that once the bright switches are engaged, the gains behave more like bright controls since the higher frequencies are bypassed and peak, while the lower frequencies are held back at lower settings. With bright switches on, the tone will be tighter at lower gain settings and at higher gain settings, the become more out of circuit.

LunatiBSW":15lvpmzg said:
mhenson42":15lvpmzg said:
scottosan":15lvpmzg said:
Apex1Rg7X":15lvpmzg said:
mhenson42":15lvpmzg said:
Apex1Rg7X":15lvpmzg said:

Sweet!

:poke: :poke: :poke: :shocked:
I knew you’d want one,
I bet he’ll get what he put into it. Trend with fortins right now.
It was $3295+$125 insured shipping.
How much of a PITA it is to get one. With the money wiring and limited runs, and small wait.
Fortin figured out how to make his stuff in demand, I give him that.
I hope you get it though buddy, I think you’d like it. Try some Jedi mind tricks.

Sweet! I paid $3445 for it shipped. It’ll be here tomorrow. 6 days after I discovered its existence. I think that’s pretty good for serial #1. No inflation and no wait. I’ve been waiting for some money from a home sale to buy a new amp. Took longer than I thought. In fact I tried to convince Wizard of Ozz to hold the red one for me with a deposit! It wasn’t meant to be.

I got the money for an amp the day after I discovered the Fortin. Spent the week searching for a Wizard. Decided on good ol #1. I love it on paper. Love the look. Black on white is my jam. Same color as my car. I love the dual gains and master being on concentric pots. That way you can adjust them simultaneously and the same amount. The independent bias adjustments, structure and shaping switches could make it perfect. If it’s not for me I’ll be selling it for a Wizard.

I love Wizards, but I treat them like single channel amps. I’m hoping I can really use all the Cali offers. I’m not really a metal player. More like 80’s rock meets 90’s punk with more of a modern heavily palm muted power chords. I love how dynamic the Wizards are. I’ve never played another high gain amp that can compare. Cleans up better than a Komet through a Power Station. I’m hoping the Fortin can be similar at my preferred gain levels. I emailed Fortin before I bought the amp and they responded within hours saying they thought it would be perfect.

I only bought it yesterday because the seller got cold feet after unboxing it to check on how well the gain channels clean up from the guitar. Then he decided not to sell it and took down the Reverb listing. But I kept bugging him and caught him in a week moment. I’ll be playing it through a compact Custom Audio Amplifiers 212 front loaded ported cab with a Redback and Cream 90 combo. I’ll report back. Wish me luck!

scottosan":13p5fk9z said:
Keep in mind, that on these type.of amps, that once the bright switches are engaged, the gains behave more like bright controls since the higher frequencies are bypassed and peak, while the lower frequencies are held back at lower settings. With bright switches on, the tone will be tighter at lower gain settings and at higher gain settings, the become more out of circuit.

Well said. I consider them more “feel controls” when the bright caps are engaged. At lower volumes, the help tighten up the amp, but when you get the power section cranking the added compression kills the feel. I then turn up the gain knobs to limit a bit more of the bright cap effects and it brings the feel back. Moving the switches also helps, but sometimes people need to think outside the box (like you have). Of course I’m referencing my CCV in my statement above winces it’s a Jose style amp.

LunatiBSW":2mjjeqko said:
The Cali doesn’t need any boosts at all.
Maybe your talking about how fast the attack is??? Cause the Cali is awesome for that, it’s the best attack I’ve seen from an amp unboosted.
On that pedal, also, couldn’t sell it fast enough. Played it through tons of amps. Was very processed sounding and added to much artifact to the sound.
This amp has zero qualities of either of those things, but if that’s what you hear than more power to ya.
The amp is organic and very dynamic, which that pedal in front of any amp, is the polar opposite.
I also am not really a fan of using boosts, and if I do, it’s on my recto or deliverance 120, to give it faster attack, cause they are a little tubby, which is why I may be selling them. Haha
Thanks for checking it out though. If you can check one out, def do so. I think you may be surprised at how different it is from your KSR.

I was never really a fan of using boosts with high gain amps either. Then one day I looked at all of the boosts I owned for using with stock Marshall amps. I started tinkering with high gain amps and it opened up a whole new though process. I’m LOVING using the VFE Standout in front of the CCV. The CCV is very similar to the Fortin Cali, so neither amp “need” a pedal out front.

psychodave":2gvdp3zp said:
LunatiBSW":2gvdp3zp said:
Maybe your talking about how fast the attack is??? Cause the Cali is awesome for that, it’s the best attack I’ve seen from an amp unboosted.
On that pedal, also, couldn’t sell it fast enough. Played it through tons of amps. Was very processed sounding and added to much artifact to the sound.
This amp has zero qualities of either of those things, but if that’s what you hear than more power to ya.
The amp is organic and very dynamic, which that pedal in front of any amp, is the polar opposite.
I also am not really a fan of using boosts, and if I do, it’s on my recto or deliverance 120, to give it faster attack, cause they are a little tubby, which is why I may be selling them. Haha
Thanks for checking it out though. If you can check one out, def do so. I think you may be surprised at how different it is from your KSR.

I was never really a fan of using boosts with high gain amps either. Then one day I looked at all of the boosts I owned for using with stock Marshall amps. I started tinkering with high gain amps and it opened up a whole new though process. I’m LOVING using the VFE Standout in front of the CCV. The CCV is very similar to the Fortin Cali, so neither amp “need” a pedal out front.

That VFE standout is a gem. It has taken #1 spot for boost/eq.
I played with it a lot this weekend with all my amps. It really gives me the little 5% I need to make the perfect gain tone. The pedal is genious.. I have to tweak it a little different for each amp.
I’ve realized most boosts color the tone a little too much for me. With this pedal I can hone in on a little tighter bass or a tiny more top end, no prob. Still keep the punch of the core tone.
It retains the core tone the best of any boost I’ve used, you can basically shape it the way that suites you best.
You were one of the guys that really sold me on buying one.
Glad I did. :D
I’m about to redo my board, and it will be the only boost on there.
Gonna do a fortin spliff, get the tuner out of the chain (since it has a dedicated feed to be on all the time), just run the vfe standout into zuul into amp. Spliff also has a mute button :rock:
I can feed the key this way, then with one out of the spliff I’m gonna run my Slax with delay, since Friedman has the best loops. Then run the other iso out to the Fortin Cali, for the evil slice, dry with no Fx.
Experimenting is fun.

LunatiBSW":q7nwm2q2 said:
psychodave":q7nwm2q2 said:
LunatiBSW":q7nwm2q2 said:

I played with it a lot this weekend with all my amps. It really gives me the little 5% I need to make the perfect gain tone. The pedal is genious.. I have to tweak it a little different for each amp.
I’ve realized most boosts color the tone a little too much for me. With this pedal I can hone in on a little tighter bass or a tiny more top end, no prob. Still keep the punch of the core tone.
It retains the core tone the best of any boost I’ve used, you can basically shape it the way that suites you best.
Gonna do a fortin spliff, get the tuner out of the chain (since it has a dedicated feed to be on all the time), just run the vfe standout into zuul into amp. Spliff also has a mute button :rock:
I can feed the key this way, then with one out of the spliff I’m gonna run my Slax with delay, since Friedman has the best loops. Then run the other iso out to the Fortin Cali, for the evil slice, dry with no Fx.
Experimenting is fun.

How did you like the VFE in front of the Wizard? I only tried it once and while it was okay, I didn't like it as much as the Koko Boost with the Wizards. I did like it with the Fryettes though. I need to pull that thing out of the box and give it another shot.

mhenson42":1zfnjc8a said:
LunatiBSW":1zfnjc8a said:
psychodave":1zfnjc8a said:
LunatiBSW":1zfnjc8a said:

Experimenting is fun.

How did you like the VFE in front of the Wizard? I only tried it once and while it was okay, I didn't like it as much as the Koko Boost with the Wizards. I did like it with the Fryettes though. I need to pull that thing out of the box and give it another shot.

It sounds fantastic in front of the mcII.
That wizard really loves my big Friedman cab. The vfe, allows a little more atrack, so I can lower the treble and presence more and still get the aggressive cut I like. Which means I can make it thicker but still bite your head off.
Most of all* It maintains the 3D punch and open-ness That the wizards are known for, but allows me to focus the bass a tiny bit more since my Friedman cab has the Celestion 15’s on the bottom (they’re a deep speaker, very badass).
The cab is tight but it’s really huge with the wizard haha. So the vfe gives me the little focus I like, but doesn’t compress the tone like other od’s I’ve tried. It really feels like an amp expander to me hah.
I will say it took my some time to really figure it out.
I didn’t like it this much first couple times I tried it.
Once I understood what’s was really going on, and what the pedal can do, it’s priceless now.

LunatiBSW":2p9n2h4t said:
mhenson42":2p9n2h4t said:
psychodave":2p9n2h4t said:

Experimenting is fun.

It sounds fantastic in front of the mcII.
That wizard really loves my big Friedman cab. The vfe, allows a little more atrack, so I can lower the treble and presence more and still get the aggressive cut I like. Which means I can make it thicker but still bite your head off.
Most of all* It maintains the 3D punch and open-ness That the wizards are known for, but allows me to focus the bass a tiny bit more since my Friedman cab has the Celestion 15’s on the bottom (they’re a deep speaker, very badass).
The cab is tight but it’s really huge with the wizard haha. So the vfe gives me the little focus I like, but doesn’t compress the tone like other od’s I’ve tried. It really feels like an amp expander to me hah.
I will say it took my some time to really figure it out.
I didn’t like it this much first couple times I tried it.
Once I understood what’s was really going on, and what the pedal can do, it’s priceless now.

Can't remember if you have used the Buxom with the MCII Brandon? I think the Buxom rocks with this amp but the Duncan 805 is also absolutely killer with the Wiz!

Wow! The Cali is the biggest 50 watts I’ve ever heard. Seems even bigger than the 50 watt MCII I had. Not as thick as the 100, but feels as stout. The clean channel turned up to loud home volumes sent my Plexi clone packing. Impressive. It’s bright and cutting and requires good technique to tame, but is dynamically rewarding. Much like an MCII. It took some serious work to balance the channels. But totally possible for my low to high gain style. My mind is blown. This thing is a beast.

Back