Recommend a cheap modeling combo

• Thread starter Thread starter jchrisf
  • Start date Start date
Those new Vypyrs might be the ticket. I've owned a VIP and still have a Vypyr 15 (old original one) and it's a killer little amp.
I had a Katana 50 mkii and pretty much hated it.
I can tell you that the Kat 100 kills my VIP 2. After another week with it, I am enjoying playing it more than anything else.. including my tube amps. I'm a Marshall guy and the Kat brings it in spades.

How does the 50 compare to the Artist sound wise?

Yeah, I wish they still made them.. I'm afraid to buy one used.
I used the 50 for about 3 years, always loved it. An Artist popped up cheap and local...so I grabbed it. The Artist sounds better, but mostly because of the speaker IMHO, it is also insanely loud, the 50 is also loud for it's size for sure. he advantage to the artist is that you can use a GAFC footswitch which I got with the amp, and that makes it the winner. But both sound great IMHO.

Those new Vypyrs might be the ticket. I've owned a VIP and still have a Vypyr 15 (old original one) and it's a killer little amp.
I had a Katana 50 mkii and pretty much hated it.
When you had the Katana, did you delve into the editing software? I didn't care much for it until I did...it opens up a whole new world with that amp.

When you had the Katana, did you delve into the editing software? I didn't care much for it until I did...it opens up a whole new world with that amp.
I did dive in. I didn't care for having to connect to a computer to change settings and dial stuff in. The one thing I did like about it was the power amp input on the back. It worked great with my modelers for being used as a powered cab.
I will say that it did work great for cleans and sounded good.
But I didn't care for the high gain stuff it did.

Back