Satriani Now Needs a “clean amp” Just For 1 VH Song…

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
I personally have always disliked that specific G3 with Yngwie for whatever reasons.

Now if you want to see 2 guys look like they are scared shitless - the G3 tour with Guthrie was mad. He was just smiling and Vai and Satch are huddled close together trying to figure out how NOT to play something similar to GG, or he'd just shred em out. As a teen who was just Gaga for Vai and Satch, Guthrie changed my whole world! Changed what I enjoy hearing as a player and lead me down a guitar pathway I had not been down before!

Vai is like the prototype for the modern youtube/instagram guitarist

He can technically play anything on earth and has crazy chops, but he can't write music worth a shit except for like gay elevator music

The biggest evidence for this is Alcatrazz with Yngwie VS Alcatrazz with Vai

Vai can PLAY the yngwie stuff, sure, but look at the stuff he WROTE with them - it's horrible and has no personality compared to yngwie

This is like a modern retroactive rewriting of history that vai and satch are on yngwies level, because modern youtube and IG guitarists (for obvious reasons) love the idea that they can be a famous guitar player who is completely incapable of writing any music of their own that doesnt fucking suck donkey dick

And because youtube/IG is 90% "fan blowing hair" and "making orgasm faces" ..... well, as you said, it's a perfect fit.
He didn't even play Yngwie's solos properly at all. He taps it all because he can't alternate pick that well....which always surprised me because cross roads is so bad ass, how did he just end up a legato stretch Armstrong type of lead player? ( having orgasms on stage)

I personally have always disliked that specific G3 with Yngwie for whatever reasons.

Now if you want to see 2 guys look like they are scared shitless - the G3 tour with Guthrie was mad. He was just smiling and Vai and Satch are huddled close together trying to figure out how NOT to play something similar to GG, or he'd just shred em out. As a teen who was just Gaga for Vai and Satch, Guthrie changed my whole world! Changed what I enjoy hearing as a player and lead me down a guitar pathway I had not been down before!

I’m sure there were TONS of hot chicks at the show which probably scared them. Guthrie don’t have to worry about being hit on by them cause he’s the ugliest ever so he just shredded

i really wonder what eddie would think of all this?? shouldnt proper EVH amps be used since this is supposedly some "celebration" of eddie?? i know id be pissed off as a motherfucker if i was gone and some asshole was playing and profiting off my songs promoting some other amp company in the process. "oh eddie would just love this!!". the fuck he would lol
Didn't even think of that but you have a good point.

He should have just used an old Bandmaster (Eddie's early amps) set clean. Done.

Didn't even think of that but you have a good point.

He should have just used an old Bandmaster (Eddie's early amps) set clean. Done.

one of eddies old marshalls and a EVH stack would have been proper to me if this was a true celebration of eddie, i wont bring up again how it seems to me like more an easy money making scheme than an actual tribue to eddie cause people get very sensitive over that, they want to hear "i cant stop loving you" damnit!! lol

"when Sammy mentioned it I said, ‘You’re gonna have to give me a few weeks’ notice to do some tweaking with my tech to make sure I can get that guitar sound together.’”

this is a dude with signature everything gear, yet needs weeks with a tech and more amps to get a clean tone

He didn't even play Yngwie's solos properly at all. He taps it all because he can't alternate pick that well....which always surprised me because cross roads is so bad ass, how did he just end up a legato stretch Armstrong type of lead player? ( having orgasms on stage)

He does tap a bunch of the arpeggiated non sweeping stuff, but he alternate picks a couple of the more popular licks, but that isn't really the point

The point is he can't write music or add to music in the songwriting process, it's all just CrAzY tapping and CrAzY note groupings wow how ZaNy

He's not terrible but compared to a monster like yngwie, etc, I feel like hes the prototypical guitar technician rather than musician - just like all the instagram fags who can do all the techniques but can't make a simple melody have emotion

"when Sammy mentioned it I said, ‘You’re gonna have to give me a few weeks’ notice to do some tweaking with my tech to make sure I can get that guitar sound together.’”

this is a dude with signature everything gear, yet needs weeks with a tech and more amps to get a clean tone

Honestly it's kind of a mood lifter - if Joe Satriani is this much of a bitch, he probably couldn't handle either one of my gigs lmfao

This whole tour has been nothing but a douchey drama-fest from day one. I could give 2 fucks about it, honestly.

one of eddies old marshalls and a EVH stack would have been proper to me if this was a true celebration of eddie, i wont bring up again how it seems to me like more an easy money making scheme than an actual tribue to eddie cause people get very sensitive over that, they want to hear "i cant stop loving you" damnit!! lol
All true...but I can't begrudge musicians for trying to make money from making music.

All true...but I can't begrudge musicians for trying to make money from making music.
As long as it brings the memories or feelings a song should bring to those who are listening to it then I don’t care who the guitarist is playing it - garage band or seasoned pro - they should be allowed to charge money for that talent and time.

Reading the article it sounds more like Satch is trying to pay homage to Eddie and doesn't want to screw anything up. And I think he's a bit of a perfectionist, so he really wants to nail the tone as best he can. My take anyway.

+1

Just like Zakk has been playing Pantera covers to pay homage. As long as he does it justice I don’t care.

It all started with that premature live debacle on video and then Joe's quest for a different amp to get THAT tone. Sure he can play better than me and can afford whatever amp he wants. I'm not even a big fan of the EVH or JVM amps but I would think he'd be able cop a good VH tone with one of them?

And don't forget, this tour is a tribute to Montrose/Red Rocker/VH/Chickenfoot. Lastly, he doesn't need to copy Ed's tone. Just relax, go out, and have fun. It's just confusing :dunno:

I can't say I am a big Satch or Vai fan. Great players but if I'm listening to instrumental guitar it's gonna be Santo and Johnny.

Good guitar tones in there.

I own Surfing with the Alien. It's OK. I own Passion and Warfare. It's OK.

But the shit I really like is:

My favorite type of Vai tones. Hey, he does a lot of that show off stuff on these albums too, but dat rhythm and tone :cool:

Last edited:

i certainly dont either, im just saying lets call it for what it is.. this Disney Land fairy tale narrative all these tribute acts say like "we are just great friends that were hanging around the fire one night drinking beers when someone said "shit, we need to drop everything we got going on and do a heartfelt tribute to keep the spirit alive for the fans, we then did a shot and were blessed from above"" that so many people seem to believe and go along with is just lame as hell to me lol. if they called it the "Memories for you.. Money for us!!" tour, id be all about it, at least i dont feel like im being duped by some bullshit lol

Good guitar tones in there.

I own Surfing with the Alien. It's OK. I own Passion and Warfare. It's OK.

But the shit I really like is:

I have seen DLR live. Even jammed with his guitarist Brian Young, who showed up at a gig I was doing in St. Pete. He was in town for rib fest. He played SRV's cold shot on my upside down Hendrix strat while I sang, lol. Brian even got us backstage to his gig as promised. What a guy. What a player. Truthfully I was never a big VH guy but what I do like is hearing Eddie and Alex play. I could live without Dave's voice. I will say he is a helluva showman with a huge stage presence. He's a little tiny dude and kind of unassuming in street clothes but on stage he is larger than life. He really owns it. .

I will say he is a helluva showman with a huge stage presence. He's a little tiny dude and kind of unassuming in street clothes but on stage he is larger than life. He really owns it. .

he was a great expanded upon copy of Jim Dandy. like the tone robbing metals of today, the coke is just not pure enough anymore to produce them like him anymore

he was a great expanded upon copy of Jim Dandy. like the tone robbing metals of today, the coke is just not pure enough anymore to produce them like him anymore
I'd rather listen to VH and DLR than Black Oak Arkansas anytime.Dandy was like a bad, non guitar playing version of Ted Nugent who I also don't particularly care for. DLR has an over the top persona that fits his style perfectly but Dandy just irritates me.

As far as 67Mike implying that no one here can hold Joe's jockstrap, I'll take that challenge too - I could certainly play all his surfing with the alien era stuff pretty easily. Although I haven't heard anything of his music since then, because I thought that music fucking sucked. If I wanted to listen to major key mixolydian mid tempo bullshit I would put on the teenage mutant ninja turtles theme and get it out of my system in 1 minute as opposed to an entire career discography.

It was not meant to be taken literally. But you snowflakes are having hissy fits.

BTW playing someone's music is a massive bit short of actually writing it.

If you have any work that has as much success as Joe, please share, would love to see it.

Till then.....give your fucking balls a tug!

Back