Unpopular Rigpinions V2

• Thread starter Thread starter ghosty999
  • Start date Start date
Soldanos SLOs sound dated.

Wizards are the modern day Splawn of weird mids

Friedman’s amps take out everything tonally that make a Marshall a Marshall.

There’s nothing better than the interaction of a guitar and a cranked tube amp. No modeler has nailed it yet.

Amplitube 5 needs a stand-alone rack.

Listen to the music you like to play - it does wonders for playing inspiration.

I’ve learned less is more. My rig is a delay pedal, a boost pedal, an amp, and I want to add a noise gate pedal.

Practice in front of a mirror. You’ll spot your own mistakes without needing someone to tell you otherwise because we are all used to watching pros play professionally.

The pick you play with impacts your tone and your picking speed. I’ll never go back to less than 2mm.

There’s nothing better than the interaction of a guitar and a cranked tube amp. No modeler has nailed it yet.

I’ve learned less is more. My rig is a delay pedal, a boost pedal, an amp, and I want to add a noise gate pedal.

Practice in front of a mirror. You’ll spot your own mistakes without needing someone to tell you otherwise because we are all used to watching pros play professionally.

The pick you play with impacts your tone and your picking speed. I’ll never go back to less than 2mm.
...Someone hasn't tried the Ultex Sharp's yet..

I can see SLO's coming off dated in tone, but would argue the old NMV Marshall's (which are my favorite sounding amps I've owned) sound even more dated. The Ampeg's and '50's Fender Tweeds sound imo even more dated than that, but to me good tone is good tone and all those amps to me (SLO included) have great tone

Wizard's mids aren't to my taste either, but I can tell you that having had a Splawn and Wizard side by side they sounded and felt nothing at all alike to me. Their mids were both off to me, but in a bit different ways lol

Totally agreed on Friedman's. Morgan's are the same way to Vox's

I also keep my setup simple. For pedals just a boost, noise gate and sometimes a fuzz. Very hard imo to have modulation pedals not sound gimmicky or like a poor band aid/make up to the sound

I think that's partly from the push for players today to be so technically precise and polished that they focus on that and often lose the raw emotion and energy
A lot of it comes from these folks have never actually been loud in a room or loud on a stage in a fuck you rock band. It does something magical to your attitude in your playing when you feel that power and when you’re ready, put that foot on the wedge, twist up the neck and get your super stank face on when you know it’s about to get nasty in this bitch.

My possibly unpopular opinion is that extreme downtuning is ridiculous and makes tone, attitude and music so much more homogenous and boring. Lower than C standard might as well be distorted bass. I do enjoy some bands that play around C# and C but when I play I just still really dig the attack and attitude I can get with A440 and when I pick up a guitar I have tuned down, I’m bored in no time and don’t even enjoy the sound nearly as much. So many higher gain amp demo’s are done with B and drop A guitars and it drives me nuts. Like you can hear the difference at that tuning between a $2500 amp and $500 one.

Last edited:
im the complete opposite, i play .53's, id be ripping the strings off the bridge if played 2mm 😲
What string gauge, tuning, and scale do you play?

I’m at 10-54 standard on 24-3/4. Basically 10’s up high 12’s down low. I sometimes play Eb but not much.

0.53mm for me wouldn’t even pluck the strings 😂

What string gauge, tuning, and scale do you play?

I’m at 10-54 standard on 24-3/4. Basically 10’s up high 12’s down low. I sometimes play Eb but not much.

0.53mm for me wouldn’t even pluck the strings 😂

i have everything from standard E in 9's to drop A with i think .74's?? i been playing mostly drop D lately with those new slinkys i think are 10-48s. the only thing i keep the same day to day for 20 years now is my snarling dog .53's. i like the pick to kind of bounce off the strings when i start laying into it, if i use 2mm i kind of pull the string along and it messes up my flow

TGP is full of paid gear promoters acting like they just discovered a hot new amp/guitar/pedal every other week and the moderators are complicit in this.

Fun thread! I'll play:
-Whenever a thread to "Post Your Stage Rig" comes along, the same guys always post their huge racks of expensive amps in their beautiful homes. It's sad and says a lot about how they play guitar and f**k.
-All of George Lynch's guitars looked dumb in the 80's, and look even dumber now.

It is funny how our erections seem to fluctuate from one week to another revolving around the in and out cycles of Mark IIC++ - Cameron - Wizard - Marshall - Splawn - Friedman - Recto - Ceriatone - Bogner - Fortiin - Next - repeat :lol:

-the Fortin modded Maxon sounds better than any other boost made except the original klons. Only good thing Fortin has come out with

Out of curiosity, was there any Klone you tried that were worthwhile? I have a VFE Merman which I like but am curious about a more staightup Klone.

Beatles of course are legends, but after a few albums, they turned to complete rubbish to say the least.

Pete Thorn is a gear whore who makes money on YT views, its that simple.

GnR were also complete rubbish after AFD.

After No rest for the wicked, Ozzys music has sucked big time and he has always been a blumbering fool. This is most likely a popular opinion...

After Powerslave, Maiden has been subpar, and that's being nice.

AND of course,,,,,Metallica's last good album was AJFA. Also....complete rubbish for the last 34 years.

Last edited:
NRFTW came before No More Tears, not after, which NMT also went platinum if I remember. I don’t think you’re in the majority. I’m a huge NRFTW fan as well which these days seems to be in the minority.

I also like Ozzy - he’s an amazing lyricist.

Out of curiosity, was there any Klone you tried that were worthwhile? I have a VFE Merman which I like but am curious about a more staightup Klone.
Best Klone I had was the Decibelics Golden Horse (still have it), but still doesn't have the magic of the real deal. If I weren't spoiled by a real klon I'd probably be very impressed with it. I had a Merman too. Nice pedal. Not a straight klone like you said

Back